Wednesday 25 March 2015

South Africa Fashion Week 2015 MARRIANE FASSLER AND AFRIKANSWISS DECONSTRUCTED DENIM AND POSH PRINTS. MODEL WATCH AAMITO STACY LAGUM


SOUTH AFRICA FASHION WEEK 2015

AFRIKANSWISSS AND MARRIANE FASSLER


I have been sort of following this year's South Africa Fashion Week and I had to hold onto my Ikea folding bar stool in case I stumbled backwards and fell.....these collections are a must see and a must have...absolutely beautiful.

I advise you to have a look at their entire collections which can be viewed on their facebook pages   here and here

Happy browsing....SUPPORT AFRICAN DESIGNERS!!!!!!!!!!


























You know Im not  just going to say support African Designers without giving a reason....well here is my reason....from what you see here....above I mean.....these are passionate, fresh, new age, love me or hate me designs and this is art screaming art art art art art in its finest form.....you've got to lurrrrvvvvee this.....if you dont......honey!!!! wake up...but im not forcing you okay!!!!!!.....congrats to them.....xx




AAMITO STACY LAGUM ......MODEL WATCH - THE MODEL STARTING A REVOLUTION AND BREAKING FASHION STEREOTYPES......CHALLENGING GRAVITY IN THE CATWALK AND FASHION WORLD


Yes, cheesy as my title may sound I am a proud Ugandan expressing my pride for Aamito Stacie Lagum, she is definitely the new age model from Africa. I don't even want to do the whole comparison thing, you know when people say stuff like ....oh!oh! da new Ale Wek, or Ajak....uhmmmm...no no no (think no no no destiny's child) yup!!!! she is not to be compared to anyone....she is in a league of her own.....new, fresh, challenging....I mean this girl is like a walking Africa ....she epitomises beauty and challenges the concepts of beauty in the fashion industry. I am glad the fashion industry is starting to recognise true African...and I mean pure pure pure BLACK AFRICAN beauty.....you better recognise and respect.....Dont really want to get into it but feels like a new political wave of awakening and awareness....where it is against all odds that the stereotypical pure black African girl will grace your catwalk and will drip drip drip melanin or say flood melanin on that runway and leave you gaping angaziiiii ( speechless!!!!! and mouth dropping maybe even saliva coming out...abit!!!!).

Oh...I almost forgot to mention this and some of you may already know this...yes...she is skinnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyy but guess what she has been like that all her life and trust me....im from Uganda and in Kitgum.......96% of the people,,,men and women are skinnnnnyyyyyy...so if you are out there trying to starve your ass and be thin and not eat your breakfast dinner and lunch just coz you want that Aamito body....you are really going to hit a brick wall..hard!!!!!!!!!!!.because that is how she was born....and she probably loves her food and can eat a whole cow...wait ....maybe even horse...(but wait...thats not allowed after the whole scandal with fake meat in Europe)...ok! lets stick to the cow bit.....sorry! I digress...she is from a tribe that has girls with legs up to their necks, necks up to the sun and hair that defies gravity so pleaseeeeeeee....dont starve yourself to look like her or do this injection thing with your lips to look like her...she has embraced her raw black African beauty....its about time you embraced yours!!!!!..I say this is a very very polite way...peace sign here...and even waving a white hanky okay...no trouble!!!! but dont copy please!!!!!....xxxx

I for one, hope she goes far and breaks all the beauty stereotypes and represents her energy beautifully.....wishing her all the best.

 Throughout her childhood, Stacy Aamito was scorned for being much taller than her peers. But that story changed  when she was declared the winner of Africa’s Next Top Model competition in New York. The Ugandan modelling fraternity is celebrating her for elevating the industry at her age of 21.

Aamito stands at 5’11”, the height that could have played a part in her victory, of course, besides her exotic high fashion look. Her victory earned her $50,000 (about 125m) and a one-year contract with American modelling agency DNA and a one-year contract as South African tourism ambassador.

However, modelling was not Aamito’s dream as a child.

“I had always wanted to fulfil my late grandfather’s dream of becoming a lawyer. Before he passed away, he always said I could make a good lawyer because I was brutally honest as a child.”


Perhaps Aamito would not be where she is today had she ignored her peers’ recommendations.

“Many people told me as a young girl that I was tall and skinny and fit to be a model,” she says.

In 2008 during her Senior Six vacation, Aamito decided to heed her peers’ advice.


“I went to fashion designer Santa Anzo’s office and applied to become a model. Anzo and her friends were impressed by my slim figure and took me on.”

This marked the start of Aamito’s modelling career. Her first gig was in 2009 at the Uganda Fashion Week in which she walked the runway for fashion designer Gloria Wavamunno’s GW Collections.

“By the time I got my first gig in 2009, I had grown to enjoy modelling. Although my mother was not happy about my choice, I stuck to my guns. She kept asking me to get a side job to supplement my modelling income, but I had already made up my mind to be a model,” Aamito says.

In 2012, she got a good job in town, but failed to keep it because of modelling. “I gave my job little attention and decided to quit it to focus on modelling. That is when Adele Dejak, another fashion designer, came to town and I was taken to Nairobi for a photo shoot. 
































For those of you who do not know Ijeoma Umebinyuo........let me tell you she is a GREAT WRITER, POET AND REALIST....yes I wrote all that in capitals because...after you read her blog and her work....you will see capitals...(well...capitals for me is like a really huge deal!!!!)

Anyway I came across her website/tumblr , here,  while I was browsing through another really awesome blog  here and trust me....it was a spiritual awakening...a sort of unquenchable force and fire that makes you want more and more....I very seriously cannot get enough of her. When you read her work, let me try and compare it to this or put it in this kind of scenario....have you ever been so thirsty almost to the point of death....yes...death..(eh!!!! dont fear!!!) and you have a sip of water...and you think to yourself ....hell to the no....I NEED MORE...I REQUIRE MORE....MORE IS NOW A NECESSITY.....this, my darlings, is Ijeoma Umebinyuo, she will leave you wanting more...she is like that feeling you get when you stare into fire,,,,like burning bush fire....that red, orange, yellow, blue and black fire, that rage fire, where the core of your very being is challenged, extracted and placed right infront of you an a very clear flat surface for you to see, examine, scrutnize, allow and accept....yes!!!! hot and true...Ijeoma's words will disect you piece by piece, bone by bone, layer by layer and will leave you naked for you to heal and heal and accept and eventually find peace and truth within and without yourself. I am   probably a third generation immigrant living in London and truth be told,,,,some days are so fucking challenging to the point of lifting your eyes to the sky and letting tears fall...its not all that bad. But when I came across her website, I stayed up all night reading her work,,,,like my life was being revealed in front of me...it was scary, emotioinal, fucking furious,(mostly because I put myself down sometimes) I could not sleep and eventually when I did sleep, I woke up with a smile, I woke up with hope, I woke up with a new found respect for myself and my struggles and my story and my history,  I woke up with love, I woke up with warmth on the coldest of winter days, but amongst all of these...I woke up to the reality that I am me and all my experiences are necessary to mould me into the beautiful woman, mother, sister and daughter that I am. I digress. I urge you to read her work...you can find her on facebook too...ahhhahhh!!!! im not sharing the facebook link....use your fingers and type it in.....lol....especially if you are an immigrant, or parents were, or if you are seeking to know more about Africa, she will educate you!!!!!.

 READ HER WORK....SHE IS HOPE, SHE IS LOVE, SHE IS WARMTH, SHE IS REALITY, SHE IS TRUTH...SHE IS NECESSARY...THANK YOU IJEOMA UMEBINYUO...you make a difference.....xxx

See one of her poems below and here 




























WISHING YOU ALL GOOD POSITIVE ENERGY AND PEACE ALL ROUND....YOU ONLY HAVE ONE LIFE....ENJOY....XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment